Now you can make Georgetown Cupcake’s delicious coconut cupcakes decorated with funny bunny faces for Easter!
- 12 unfrosted coconut cupcakes
- vanilla cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup of sweetened coconut flakes (for cupcakes)
- 3 cups of sweetened coconut flakes (for cupcake topping)
- black licorice whips, cut into 72 pieces, each 0.5” inch long
- 24 white candy-coated licorice bits
- piping gel and brush
- 1 cup of white fondant
- 1 cup of pink fondant
- 1 cup of black fondant
- 1 cup of green fondant
- Note: If you can’t find colored fondant in your local supermarket’s baking aisle, specialty food store, or craft store, you can add 1 drop of food color (brown, pink, orange, and green) to white fondant to tint it brown, pink, orange, and green.
- Circular cookie cutters in 4 sizes (0.25”, 0.5”, 2”, and 3” diameters)
- Mini heart-shaped cookie cutter
- To make coconut cupcakes, bake vanilla cupcakes using Georgetown Cupcake’s Vanilla Cupcake Recipe, and mix in 1 cup of shredded coconut to batter.
- Prepare vanilla cream cheese frosting using Georgetown Cupcake’s Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting recipe, featured below.
- Once coconut cupcakes are cooled, using an offset spatula, cover each cupcake’s surface with vanilla cream cheese frosting.
- Gently cover the entire surface of each cupcake with a “cloud” of shredded coconut flakes.
- Using a rolling pin, on a sheet of wax or parchment paper, roll out colored fondant to 1/4 thick.
- For the white outer part of the bunny’s ears, cut out a circle of white fondant, using the 3” diameter circle cutter. Using the same circular cookie cutter, cut off each side of the circle (approximately 1/3 of the circle) to create 2 ear shapes. Repeat for each cupcake.
- For the pink inner part of the bunny’s ears, cut out a circle of pink fondant, using the 2” diameter circle cutter. Using the same circular cookie cutter, cut off each side of the circle (approximately 1/3 of the circle) to create 2 ear shapes. Repeat for each cupcake.
- Using piping gel, stick the inner pink part of the bunny ears on top of the white outer ears and let harden.
- Using the 0.5” diameter circle cutter, cut out 2 white “eyes” for each cupcake.
- Using the 0.25” diameter circle cutter, cut out 2 black “pupils” for each cupcake.
- Using piping gel, stick the black pupils one top of the white eyes.
- Using the mini heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a pink heart nose for each cupcake.
- Decorate each cupcake with 2 completed bunny ears, 2 eyes, a pink heart nose, 6 pieces of black licorice whips (for the whiskers), and 2 white candy-coated licorice bits for the bunny’s 2 front teeth. Using piping gel as needed to stick the fondant and candy on the coconut surface of each cupcake.
Georgetown Cupcake Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz cream cheese
For the frosting: Place all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
Recipe from The Cupcake Diaries: Recipes and Memories from the Sisters of Georgetown Cupcake By Katherine Kallinis and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne/HarperOne/HarperCollins